Re: Foreign Key inter databases

От Josh Tolley
Тема Re: Foreign Key inter databases
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 8/2/07, Dani Castaños <danitao.mailists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Is it possible to have a foreign key where referenced table is in
> another database?
>
> Thank you in advance

Unless you use things like dblink to make two separate databases think
they're one database, you really can't do anything where one database
depends on another. Your best bet, if you can have both data sets on
the same machine, is to stick them in two separate schemas, and then
you can have foreign keys on a table in one schema referencing a table
in another schema. That's (in part) what schemas are for in the first
place -- to separate logically distinct data sets while allowing
accesses between the two when necessary.

If for whatever reason having all the data on one machine isn't
possible, you can try using dbi-link or dblink to create links between
the two databases and do foreign keys that way, but I've never used
either, so that might not work/make sense/be possible, etc.

-Josh