Re: Problem while installing PostgreSQL using make

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Problem while installing PostgreSQL using make
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2024-07-04 Th 6:22 AM, Mohab Yaser wrote:
can you send me a link to download this version on windows as I didn't find anything other than the one I already have downloaded

On Thu, Jul 4, 2024 at 1:21 PM Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
Hi,

> While I was trying to install PostgreSQL from the git repository to start contributing I faced this issue. When I try to type ./configure it gives me this error
>
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
> checking for bison... /c/GnuWin32/bin/bison
> configure: using bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.1
> checking for flex... configure: error:
> *** The installed version of Flex, /c/GnuWin32/bin/flex, is too old to use with PostgreSQL.
> *** Flex version 2.5.35 or later is required, but this is C:\GnuWin32\bin\flex.exe version 2.5.4.
>
> Look at the last two lines, the error says that the installed version of flex is too old and is 2.4 which is correct and not too old and should be valid but actually I can't proceed beyond this point. And I double checked the version of flex
>
> $ flex --version
> C:\GnuWin32\bin\flex.exe version 2.5.4
>
> and made sure that it is properly included in PATH
>
> $ which flex
> /c/GnuWin32/bin/flex

Flex 2.5.4 is ancient. Version 2.5.39 was released in 2020 and I
didn't look further to figure out the exact release year of 2.5.4

You need something like flex 2.6.4 and bison >= 2.3. That's what I use.

I assume this configure script is running under Msys2? Just install its flex and bison (and remove these ancient versions):

   pacman -S bison flex

cheers

andrew

--