Re: [HACKERS] Add checklist item for psql completion to commitfestreview

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Add checklist item for psql completion to commitfestreview
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/15/17 9:49 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>> After seeing Yet Another Missing Psql Tab Completion it occurred to me...
>> why not add a checklist item to the commitfest review page? I realize most
>> regular contributors don't use the form, but a fair number of people do. I
>> don't see how it could hurt.
>>
>> Another possible idea is a git hook that checks to see if the psql
>> completion code has been touched if any of the grammar has been. That could
>> certainly trigger false positives so it'd need to be easy to over-ride, but
>> AFAIK that could be done via a special phrase in the commit message.
>
> In the past, our usual policy has been that tab completion isn't a
> hard requirement for a patch implementing a new feature.  It often
> gets added after the fact.  I think that policy has worked fine, but
> it's not a bad thing for people to include tab completion in the
> original patch either, if they have the brain space for it.

I've never messed with completion so I don't know how hard it is, but my
impression is that it gets added after the fact not because of any
intentional decisions but because people simply forget about it. ISTM it
would be more efficient of community resources to deal with completion
in the original patch, unless there's some reason not to.

IOW, no, don't make it a hard requirement, but don't omit it simply
through forgetfulness.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)