Re: permission denied on socket

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: permission denied on socket
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/25/24 12:22, Atul Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have postgres 13 running on centos 7.
>
> I am facing an issue while trying to connect the cluster using the below
> command.
>
> -bash-4.2$ psql postgres
>
> psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed:
> Permission denied

With the Postgres server running does:

/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

exist?

> Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that socket?
>

> but when I am trying to connect using the below command I am able to
> login to the cluster successfully.
>
> -bash-4.2$ psql postgres -h localhost
>
> postgres=#

The above works because you are not connecting to local(the socket), but
to localhost(127.0.0.1 or ::1).

> I am not sure what is causing this issue and what needs to be done to
> resolve it ?

Best guess is you are using a version of psql that is expecting the
socket to be somewhere else then where it actually is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com