Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2024, at 6:22 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 2:38 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)

> > > Yet other options could be
> > > pg_buildsubscriber, pg_makesubscriber as 'build' or 'make' in the name
> > > sounds like we are doing some work to create the subscriber which I
> > > think is the case here.
> >
> > I see your point here.  pg_createsubscriber is not like createuser in
> > that it just runs an SQL command.  It does something different than
> > CREATE SUBSCRIBER.

Right.

Subscriber has a different meaning of subscription. Subscription is an SQL
object. Subscriber is the server (node in replication terminology) where the
subscription resides. Having said that pg_createsubscriber doesn't seem a bad
name because you are creating a new subscriber. (Indeed, you are transforming /
converting but "create" seems closer and users can infer that it is a tool to
build a new logical replica.

  So a different verb would make that clearer.  Maybe

> I read the link and found a good verb "switch". So, how about using "pg_switchsubscriber"?

I also initially thought on these lines and came up with a name like
pg_convertsubscriber but didn't feel strongly about it as that would
have sounded meaningful if we use a name like
pg_convertstandbytosubscriber. Now, that has become too long. Having
said that, I am not opposed to it having a name on those lines. BTW,
another option that occurred to me today is pg_preparesubscriber. We
internally create slots and then wait for wal, etc. which makes me
sound like adding 'prepare' in the name can also explain the purpose.

I think "convert" and "transform" fit for this case. However, "create",
"convert" and "transform" have 6, 7 and 9 characters,  respectively. I suggest
that we avoid long names (subscriber already has 10 characters). My preference
is pg_createsubscriber.

--
Euler Taveira