Re: [WIP] Reduce alignment requirements on 64-bit systems.

От Ryan Bradetich
Тема Re: [WIP] Reduce alignment requirements on 64-bit systems.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Zdenek,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@sun.com> wrote:
> Just a quick look. At first point. Your change introduces new page layout
> version. Which is not acceptable from my point of view for 8.4 (it add

I would like to see this patch (or some variant) go in if possible.
Since the inplace
upgrades a concern to you, is there anything I can do to help with the inplace
upgrades to help offset the disruption this patch causes you?

> another complexity to inplace upgrade). And I guest that it maybe works fine
> on 64bits x86 but it will fail on SPARC and other machine which requires
> aligned data.

Did I miss something?  My intention was to keep the data aligned so it
should work
on any platform.   The patch checks the user-defined data to see if
any column requires
the double storage type.  If the double storage type is required, it
uses the MAXALIGN()
macro which preserves the alignment for 64-bit data types.   If no
columns require the
double storage type, then the data will be INTALIGN() which still
preserves the alignment
requirements.  If I have a complete mis-understanding of this issue,
please explain it
to me and I will either fix it or withdraw the patch.

Thanks for your feedback!

- Ryan

Сообщение: Re: [WIP] Reduce alignment requirements on 64-bit systems.
Сообщение: Re: [WIP] Reduce alignment requirements on 64-bit systems.