Upcoming PG re-releases

От Gregory Maxwell
Тема Upcoming PG re-releases
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Paul Lindner <lindner@inuus.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Is that really a one-size-fits-all solution?  Especially with -c?
>
> > I'd say yes, and the -c flag is needed so iconv strips out the
> > invalid characters.
>
> That's exactly what's bothering me about it.  If we recommend that
> we had better put a large THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR DATA warning first.
> The problem is that the data is not "invalid" from the user's point
> of view --- more likely, it's in some non-UTF8 encoding --- and so
> just throwing away some of the characters is unlikely to make people
> happy.

Nor is it even guarenteed to make the data load: If the column is
unique constrained and the removal of the non-UTF characters makes two
rows have the same data where they didn't before...

The way to preserve the data is to switch the column to be a bytea.

Сообщение: Re: Reducing relation locking overhead
Сообщение: Re: Reducing relation locking overhead