Re: pgcrypto sha256/384/512 don't work on Redhat. Please help!

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: pgcrypto sha256/384/512 don't work on Redhat. Please help!
Дата
Re: pgcrypto sha256/384/512 don't work on Redhat. Please help!  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On 5/9/06, Joe Kramer <cckramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/06, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The fact that Fedora pgcrypto is linked with OpenSSL that does not
> > support SHA256 is not a bug, just a fact.
>
> It's not Fedora only, same problem with Gentoo/portage.
> I think it's problem for all distros. You need recompile pgcrypto or install
> openssl 0.9.8 which is considered as "unstable" by most distros.
>
> Maybe pgcrypto should use built-in algorithms until OpenSSL 0.9.8 is
> mainstream/default install.

To be honest, pgcrypto actually falls back on built-in code for AES,
in case old OpenSSL that does not have AES.  Thats because AES
should be "always there", together with md5/sha1/blowfish.

I do not consider SHA2 that important (yet?),  so they don't
get same treatment.

> > OTOH, the nicest solution to your problem would be self-compiled
> > pgcrypto, that would work with stock PostgreSQL.  As the conflict
> > happens with only (new) SHA2 functions, I can prepare a patch for
> > symbol conflict, would that be satisfactory for you?
>
> Ideally, would be great if pgcrypto could fallback to built-in algorithm of
> OpenSSL don't support it.
> But since it's compile switch, completely seld-compiled pgcrypto would be
> great.

Attached is a patch that re-defines SHA2 symbols so that they would not
conflict with OpenSSL.

Now that I think about it, if your OpenSSL does not contain SHA2, then
there should be no conflict.  But ofcourse, if someone upgrades OpenSSL,
server starts crashing.  So I think its best to always apply this patch.

I think I'll send the patch to 8.2 later, not sure if it's important
enough for 8.1.

--
marko

Вложения