Re: Request to add indentation to the documentation indexes

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Request to add indentation to the documentation indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 8/21/19 2:10 AM, Ian Barwick wrote:
> Hi
>
> Would it be possible to tweak the stylesheet to indent the lines in the index
> representing the secondary enries?
>
> To grab a random example, the "alias" entry currently is formatted like
> this (*bolded*):
>
>     *alias*, Table and Column Aliases, Column Labels
>     *for table name in query*, Joins Between Tables
>     *in the FROM clause*, Table and Column Aliases
>     *in the select list*, Column Labels
>
> which is hard-to-read and makes hard to distinguish the bolded secondary
> entries from the actual index entries, and is (for me at leas) a
> usability regression
> compared to the old website.
>
> Something like this would be vastly more readable:
>
>     *alias*, Table and Column Aliases, Column Labels
>         *for table name in query*, Joins Between Tables
>         *in the FROM clause*, Table and Column Aliases
>         *in the select list*, Column Labels
>
> (which is the format used when building the docs from source with
> the default stylesheet).

At present, any changes to indentation would need to be done in the XML
source. There are pages that already have this, e.g.:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/queries-table-expressions.html

Similarly, if we wanted to add emphasis, we'd have to add that to the
XML source as well, and then the website can interpret it.

There are some options for adding syntax highlighting, though the ones
I've seen (and used) involve Javascript, which we've tried to avoid
adding on the site except in situations that involve interactivity.
However it could be something we consider as long as we have a decent
fallback to the current way we display syntax.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: