Re: Not deleted mentions of the cleared path

От a.rybakina
Тема Re: Not deleted mentions of the cleared path
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hi! Thank you for the interest to this issue.

On 31.10.2023 06:25, Richard Guo wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 7:31 PM Alena Rybakina <a.rybakina@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
    I have already written about the problem of InvalidPath [0]    appearing. I investigated this and found an error in the add_path()    function, when we reject a path, we free up the memory of the path,    but do not delete various mentions of it (for example, in the    ancestor of relation, as in the example below).
I agree that what you observed is true - add_path() may free a path
while it's still referenced from some lower rels.  For instance, when
creating ordered paths, we may use the input path unchanged without
copying if it's already well ordered, and it might be freed afterwards
if it fails when competing in add_path().
But this doesn't seem to be a problem in practice.  We will not access
these references from the lower rels.
I'm not sure if this is an issue that we need to fix, or we need to live
with.  But I do think it deserves some explanation in the comment of
add_path().

I agree that the code looks like an error, but without a real request, it is still difficult to identify it as a bug. I'll try to reproduce it. And yes, at least a comment is required here, and to be honest, I have already faced this problem myself.