Re: effective_cache_size less than shared_buffers

От Harald Armin Massa
Тема Re: effective_cache_size less than shared_buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg,

Well we won't eliminate any problems unless we actually override the
effective_cache_size setting by clipping it to shared_buffers. I don't
really see much of a problem doing that. The only case where that
would annoy someone was if they're intentionally understating
effective_cache_size to push the planner into avoiding nested loops
and I doin't think it's a powerful enough knob to be very likely used
that way.

My experience from PostgreSQL on Windows: effective_cache_size should reflect the value of "system cache" from task manager. shared_buffers (on windows) should be rather small.

My real-workload-tests (no benchmarks, real usage of DB-Server) showed that big shared buffers on Windows have a negative effect on PostgreSQL performance. I have found no explanation WHY it is this way.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Сообщение: Re: Hot standby, recovery procs
Сообщение: Re: Hot standby, recovery procs