Re: Smartest way to resize a column?

От Phoenix Kiula
Тема Re: Smartest way to resize a column?
Дата
Re: Smartest way to resize a column?  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

.....<snip>....

> regression=# update pg_attribute set atttypmod = 35+4 where attrelid = 't1'::regclass and attname = 'f1';
> UPDATE 1
> regression=# \d t1
>             Table "public.t1"
>  Column |         Type          | Modifiers
> --------+-----------------------+-----------
>  f1     | character varying(35) |
>
> (Why the +4 you ask?  It's historical :-()

Tom, this has worked, and a "\d TABLENAME" shows that the column is
varchar(35).

But I still have messages in my log saying:

  ---
  ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(20)
  ---

Why is this? There are no other varchar(20) columns in my DB at all,
no other table. Only this column used to be 20 characters and using
your command I changed it to 35. It looks alright, the column also
accepts the value, but the error is logged.

I'm confused. How to stop the error?

Thanks