Re: PostgreSQL High Precision Support Extension.

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: PostgreSQL High Precision Support Extension.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/21/21 6:20 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:58 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 1:30 PM A Z <poweruserm@live.com.au> wrote:
>> > -A library like GMP, written in C, is an appropriate basis to start from and to include, for all OS platforms
involved.

>> Are you aware of Daniele Varrazzo's extension
>> https://github.com/dvarrazzo/pgmp/ ?  (Never looked into it myself,
>> but this seems like the sort of thing you might be looking for?)
>
> [A Z replied off-list and mentioned areas where pgmp falls short, but
> I'll reply on-list to try to increase the chance of useful discussion
> here...]

This seems to become a common pattern to open source communities. Not
just PostgreSQL, I have seen it elsewhere. People make vague or just
specification level "proposals" and as soon as anyone replies, try to
drag it into private and off-list/off-forum conversations.

Most of the time this is because they aren't really proposing anything,
but are just looking for someone else to implement what they need for
their own, paying customer. They are not willing or able to contribute
anything but requirements.

As the original author of the NUMERIC data type I am definitely
interested in this sort of stuff. And I would love contributing in the
design of the on-disk and in-memory structures of these new data types
created as an EXTENSION.

However, so far I only see a request for someone else to create this
extension. What exactly is "A Z" (poweruserm) going to contribute to
this effort?

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck