Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table  (Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/07/03 2:15, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> On 30 June 2017 at 10:04, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alright, I spent some time implementing a patch to allow specifying
>>> -infinity and +infinity in arbitrary ways.  Of course, it prevents
>>> nonsensical inputs with appropriate error messages.
>>
>> I don't think -infinity and +infinity are the right terms. For a
>> string or character data type there is no -infinity and +infinity.
>> Similarly for enums. We need to extend UNBOUNDED somehow to indicate
>> the end of a given type in the given direction. I thought about
>> UNBOUNDED LEFT/RIGHT but then whether LEFT indicates -ve side or +side
>> would cause confusion. Also LEFT/RIGHT may work for a single
>> dimensional datatype but not for multi-dimensional spaces. How about
>> MINIMUM/MAXIMUM or UNBOUNDED MIN/MAX to indicate the extremities.
>>

> Yes, I think you're right. Also, some datatypes include values that
> are equal to +/-infinity, which would then behave differently from
> unbounded as range bounds, so it wouldn't be a good idea to overload
> that term.

Agree with you both that using (+/-) infinity may not be a good idea after
all.

> My first thought was UNBOUNDED ABOVE/BELOW, because that matches the
> terminology already in use of upper and lower bounds.

I was starting to like the Ashutosh's suggested UNBOUNDED MIN/MAX syntax,
but could you clarify your comment that ABOVE/BELOW is the terminology
already in use of upper and lower bounds?  I couldn't find ABOVE/BELOW in
our existing syntax anywhere that uses the upper/lower bound notion, so
was confused a little bit.

Also, I assume UNBOUNDED ABOVE signifies positive infinity and vice versa.

Thanks,
Amit