Re: Missing WALs when doing pg_basebackup from slave...

От
Тема Re: Missing WALs when doing pg_basebackup from slave...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 14:48:44 +1000, Venkata Balaji N <nag1010@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 6:47 PM,  wrote:
>  Is it normal that pg_basebackup runs successfully (rc=0) and there is
no
>  WAL files present?
>
> Yes, it is normal. "pg_basebackup" ensures that required WALs are backed
> along with the data directory. This is to ensure backup is consistent.

The backup pg_basebackup made had NO WAL files. I tried to restored but it
failed without at lest the WAL file mentioned in the backup_label file. It
is my understanding that pg_basebackup --xlog-method=stream should stream
the needed WAL files, and it usually does. But as I mentioned, I had it run
all day every 5 minutes and 3/100 backups were without WAL files. I am not
sure if this is a glitch of pg_basebackup or what, but I expected at least
an error result code (rc!=0).

>   The master and slave are sitting idle, after only a few transaction on
> the
>  master at the beginning of the day. I noted that all WAL switches are
>  caused by the backup running on the master. Is it possible the slave is
> in
>  a consistent state when it has applied all changes from the previous
WAL
>  and the new WAL hasn't been created yet on the master (so actually no
> WAL-s
>  are needed to restore it to a consistent state)?
>  I am not sure if I got your question correct. The amount of
> transactions in the master database may be low or high, the WALs will be
> replicated to slave.To ensure slave is receiving all the WALs, you need
> to check the sync status between master and slave. If there is no new
WAL