Re: Beginner's questions about creating a custom data type in PostgreSQL...

От Redefined Horizons
Тема Re: Beginner's questions about creating a custom data type in PostgreSQL...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Merlin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that detailed
response to my question. I appreciate it very much.

You have helped me understand my design issue better, but I have
another question if you have the patience to answer! :]

I am actually working on a spatial extension for PostgreSQL that is
similar to PostGIS, but compatible with a geometry library I am
developing.

I had first thought of using a "table" only desgin, with no custom
data types, to store the geometry information in the database.

For example, the "many_lines" table might store records representing
multi-segmented lines. (One geometry made up of smaller connected line
segments.) A separate table called "single_lines" would contain the
actual lines. The link between the line segment geometries and the
"many lines" geometries would be maintained by a one-to-many
relationship.

However, I began to realize that as my geometries became more complex
I would begin to have more and more interdependent relationships. this
in itself isn't a problem, until you consider that in a typical GIS
system I might be dealing with thousands or tens of thousands of
geometries. In the example above, if I wanted to find all of the line
segment geometries that belonged to a"many line" geometry I would have
to run a query on the "single_lines" table.

I am concerned about the performance of a system that would frequently
rely on a cascade of these types of searches.

If I instead implement a custom "many lines" geometry data type I can
now directly access the line segment geometries.

Do you think this reasoning is sound? Are custom data types the right
solution? Or am I being overly concerned about the performance issues?

If custom data types aren't a good idea in this situation, when are
they? I can think of almost no situation when I can't mirror the
functionality of a custom data type with a series of related database
tables.

Thanks Again,

Scott Huey