Data type that corresponds to bigserial...

От Redefined Horizons
Тема Data type that corresponds to bigserial...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm a newbie running PostgreSQL 8.1 and pgAdmin 3 (Version 1.2.2) on
Debian Sarge.

I want to set up a foriegn key in one of my tables. This foreign key
will reference the primary key of another table in the database. The
referrenced table uses the bigserial datatype to generate its keys.
The PostgreSQL manual said that this corresponded to the bigint
datatype. However I didn't see a bigint data type in pgAdmin 3. I did
see a "int8" data type. I know the "8" referes to the number of bytes
used to store the integer, or something like that.

If I set the data type of the foreign key to "int8" in pgAdmin, will
this correspond to the integer type stored by the bigserial data type?

In other words, are int8 and bigint the same thing?

Thanks for the clarification.

Scott Huey