Re: Multiple result set to be returned in procedure/function

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Multiple result set to be returned in procedure/function
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Muthukumar.GK schrieb am 19.11.2020 um 09:27:
> is it possible to return Multiple results set from procedure/function
> on single execution. Please advise me on this. we are planning to
> migrate things from sqlserver to postgresql where my existing sql
> stored procs will return multiple result set. so we need achieve same
> thing in postgresql.

You can achieve something like that, but it's a bit cumbersome to consume/use the results:

    create function get_results()
      returns setof refcursor
    as
    $$
    declare
       c1 refcursor;
       c2 refcursor;
    begin
       open c1 for select * from (values (1,2,3), (4,5,6)) as t(a,b,c);
       return next c1;
       open c2 for select * from (values ('one'),('two'),('three'),('four')) as p(name);
       return next c2;
    end;
    $$
    language plpgsql;

You have to turn off autocommit in order to be able to consume the results.

In psql you would get a result with two "unnamed portals" that you need to fetch
manually

    arthur=> \set AUTOCOMMIT off

    arthur=> select * from get_results();
        get_results
    --------------------
     <unnamed portal 1>
     <unnamed portal 2>

    arthur=> fetch all in fetch all in "<unnamed portal 1>";
     a | b | c
    ---+---+---
     1 | 2 | 3
     4 | 5 | 6
    (2 rows)

    arthur=> fetch all in fetch all in "<unnamed portal 2>";
     name
    -------
     one
     two
     three
     four
    (4 rows)

Other SQL clients might make this a bit easier.

How exactly you deal with that in your application depends on the
programming language you use.

I would recommend to take the opportunity of the migration project
and refactor your code so that you don't need this.

Thomas