Re: ROLE INHERIT

От David Legault
Тема Re: ROLE INHERIT
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The docs should probably be more clear about this because you can do:
GRANT role [, ...] TO username [, ...] [ WITH ADMIN OPTION ]

GRANT on Roles

This variant of the GRANT command grants membership in a role to one or more other roles. Membership in a role is significant because it conveys the privileges granted to a role to each of its members. GRANT administrator TO admin;

I thought it would transfer that CREATEROLE privilege too.

Thanks

David

On 2/15/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
David Legault escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit new to Postgre, and I'm experimenting with the roles stuff.
>
> I want to know why If I create a role called "administrator" (a group
> basically, no login) :
>
> CREATE ROLE administrator NOSUPERUSER INHERIT NOCREATEDB CREATEROLE;
>
> And then create a user
>
> CREATE ROLE admin LOGIN PASSWORD 'password' ON ROLE administrator;
>
> admin doesn't have the CREATEROLE privilege himself, but because he is part
> of a group that has it, why doesn't this fall back on him having it?
>
> When I try to use that admin user to create another role, it says
> insufficient privileges.
>
> Am I missing something in this role stuff ?

A single point, which is that while the privileges that are inherited
are those that you can GRANT and REVOKE with the respective commands.
CREATEROLE and the others are not inherited.

Also, keep in mind that while role "admin" does not have CREATEDB
privilege, if you grant it the CREATEROLE privilege it will easily be
able to create a database by creating another role with CREATEDB
privilege.  So don't grant CREATEROLE to just anyone.

FYI, the short name of PostgreSQL is "Postgres", not Postgre.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                 http://www.CommandPrompt.com/