Postgres standard versus Postgres Plus Advanced Server

От Robert James
Тема Postgres standard versus Postgres Plus Advanced Server
Дата
Re: Postgres standard versus Postgres Plus Advanced Server  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi.  I'm setting up a new workstation (Win7 64bit Quad Core 4GB) with
Postgres, for development work, and trying to pick which version I
should install.  Most of the time, Postgres is dormant - I'm not using
it all - but when I do use it, the load can be high, and I want
maximum performance.

Is there any reason to use standard Postgres over Postgres Plus
Advanced Server? My understanding is "Plus" adds some various tools
like standard database connectors, and that Advanced Server adds
Oracle compatibility (which I won't use) and performance improvements
(which are always welcome).  Why not get those performance
improvements? Will they cause Postgres to use more resources when
dormant? Why not just go with Plus Advanced?

Thanks!