invalid page header

От Jo De Haes
Тема invalid page header
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi All,

We are evaluating Postgresql as a db platform for one of our future
applications.  Some tables in the database will contain more than
10.000.000 records, which as i understand it, should be no problem with
postgresql.

We have been trying to find the most effective/fastest way to manipulate
external data and insert them in the database.  Our developper has
written some stored procedures in PL/PGSQL to do all this.

Everything works fine but we are constantly running into the same error.
  After inserting about 2.000.000 records we get this error:

CETERROR:  XX001: invalid page header in block 22182 of relation "dunn_main"

Some more error codes associated with this error:

CETCONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  phone FROM dunn_main WHERE source_id
=  $1  AND duns =  $2 "
         PL/pgSQL function "proc_dunn" line 29 at select into variables
CETLOCATION:  ReadBuffer, bufmgr.c:257
CETSTATEMENT:  SELECT proc_dunn ('Carriage Transfer','SL2
4BP','211121699','1','01','S','01753-648
900','5531',155,154,75176)

 From what I could find about this error, I understand that it's
basically a data corruption in the table.

My main question is: why is this occuring?

We are running on a HP DL380G4 machine.  That is running Novell OES sp2,
which is basically a Suse Linux Enterprise 9 setup + some Novell
extensions.  I've compiled Postgresql 8.1.3 from source.

The test database runs on a single SCSI disk.  No mirror, no Raid 5,
nothing.  It is however connected to a HP Smartarray controller.

The server also runs other Postgres databases under another instance
without (until now) any problems.  They are however not so big and don't
have a heavy insert/update load.

Does anybody have any clues or can tell me how to more exactly pinpoint
the problem?  Hardware/bug in Postgresql?

Any advice would be more than welcome, because I'm afraid the developper
will demand to have an Oracle installation if I can't fix this (it was
also tested and ran without any issues.

Kind regard,

Jo De Haes.