Re: index and MVCC

От Qingqing Zhou
Тема Re: index and MVCC
Дата
Список pgsql-general
<chenb1981@sohu.com> wrote
>a table is created and an index is created on that table
>
> then one row is updated
>
> what happens to the index file?
> ( is the index to old row deleted?)

Nothing happened to the index file. The index row is not deleted since there
is no MVCC information associated with index. See the comments in
ExecDelete():

  * Note: Normally one would think that we have to delete index tuples
  * associated with the heap tuple now...
  *
  * ... but in POSTGRES, we have no need to do this because VACUUM will
  * take care of it later.  We can't delete index tuples immediately
  * anyway, since the tuple is still visible to other transactions.

Regards,
Qingqing