Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

От codeWarrior
Тема Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Cut the knee-jerk reactions please...

We are talking at the VERY high-end of things here and ONLY for Companies
that have no problem spending millions on their IT hardware anyway... I dont
view this as a "threat" to postgreSQL...

This is a strategic alliance by Sun specifically to sell multi-processing
servers....  Quoting directly from the article...

"...Because Oracle license fees correspond to the number of processors a
server has, Sun's subsidy can be significant on machines such as the E25K,
which has as many as 72 dual-core processors. Singer said the Oracle license
fee for such as system is $850,000..."

On top of that... there is another paragraph that reads...

"...The partnership is far from exclusive, however. Sun still includes other
database software, including the open-source Derby, MySQL and PostgreSQL
packages. "There's lots of choice," McNealy said..."