Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting

От Andrus
Тема Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> If I turn power off by breaking power cord when Postgres server is busy,
>> is it possible that
>> after that SELECT * FROM anytable does not work ?
>
> It is always *possible*, but if your system isn't caching writes then it
> is *very very* unlikely. The tricky bit is that a lot of IDE drives don't
> really disable the write-cache.
>
> You should really test properly, but a quick way to know is to run a
> series of single inserts, each in their own transaction. If you get more
> transactions than the speed (rpm) of the disk then you know it *must* be
> caching.

Richard,

thank you.

QUANTUM FIREPALLP LM20.5 is a widely used ATA IDE drive.

Where do find information does it implement write caching properly or not ?

Is there IDE drive compatibility list for Postgres ?

If this information is not available is there a standard utility which can
determine this drive compatibility with Postgres under Windows ?

Is it possible write utility which converts corrupted database to readable
state so that SELECT * FROM anytable will work always ?
This utility may remove all contraints, just create database which contains
as much data as possible.
Then I can import this data to empty correct database and discard all rows
which violate database rules.

Andrus.

Сообщение: Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting
Сообщение: Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting