Re: Oracle buys Innobase

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
> There is another possibility too...  I don't really see Oracle trying to
> force MySQL to be GPL-only because that would have the potential to
> materially harm their own market position.  Kill MySQL AB and just maybe
> the community might become less MySQL AB-centric.
>
> What is a larger possibility is to use this to contain MySQL AB.  Jack
> up the license fees to the point that MySQL is no longer the
> super-low-cost alternative.  This would also cut into MySQL's
> profitability at the same time and help slow down the pace of development.

I think Oracle will buy MySQL too eventually and then pose that as a low-cost alternative.
They started with InnoDB because that is likely to lower the price tag of MySQL more then
they paid for InnoDB. MySQL's existing customer base is very attractive to Oracle.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL
От: "Greg Sabino Mullane"
Сообщение: Re: Oracle buys Innobase