Re: Database file compatability

От Qingqing Zhou
Тема Re: Database file compatability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
""Jim C. Nasby"" <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote
> If a database is created with a 64 bit version of initdb, would a 32bit
> backend be able to talk to it? Likewise, would a backend compiled by a
> different compiler be able to?

The key problem I believe is the serials of ALIGNOF macros. Especially for
MAX_ALIGNOF. Different Hardware/OS/compiler will have different
understanding of it. Compare your two versions PG, if they match, then with
big chance, you can exchange their data.

> If there was some kind of incompatability, would the backend just refuse
> to start, or would it start and start silently trashing data?
> --

Undefined. Mostly core dump.

Regards,
Qingqing