Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: enabling parallel execution for cursorsexplicitly (experimental)

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: enabling parallel execution for cursorsexplicitly (experimental)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 10/17/2017 03:16 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I propose is to add a new cursor option (PARALLEL), which would allow
>> parallel plans for that particular user-defined cursor. Attached is an
>> experimental patch doing this (I'm sure there are some loose ends).
>
> I think you would need to do a huge amount of additional work in
> order to actually make this robust. I believe that a fair amount of
> what goes on in parallel mode right now is checked with elog() if we
> think that it's unreachable without writing C code -- but this will
> make a lot of those things reachable, which means they would need to
> be checked some other way.

Sure, additional checks may be necessary. I've tried to come up with
examples causing crashes, and haven't succeeded. Of course, that's no
proof of correctness, so if you have an example that will crash and burn
I'd like to see see it.

In general, it may be acceptable to rely on the elog() checks - which is
pretty much what the FETCH+INSERT+SHARE example I shared in the first
message of this thread does. I agree it's not particularly convenient,
and perhaps we should replace it with checks while planning the queries.

> Also, I doubt this guarantees that we won't try to call
> parallel-unsafe functions will parallel mode is active, so things
> will just blow up in whatever way they do, maybe crashing the server
> or rendering the database inconsistent or whatever.

Probably. What happens right now is that declaring the cursor switches
the whole transaction into parallel mode (EnterParallelMode), so if you
do FETCH + INSERT + FETCH that will fail with elog(ERROR).

But yeah, this should probably be checked at planning time, and the
whole query should fail if the transaction is in parallel mode and the
query contains unsafe/restricted functions.

> Possibly I'm overestimating the extent of the danger, but I don't
> think so.  You're try to take a mechanism that was only ever meant to
> be active during the course of one query and applying it for long
> periods of time during which a user can do anything, with basically no
> upgrade of the infrastructure.  I think something like this could be
> made to work if you put a large amount of energy into it, but I think
> the patch as proposed is about the easiest 3-5% of what would actually
> be required to cover all the holes.

Well, soliciting feedback like this was one of the points of sharing the
experimental patch, so thank you for that. I'm not sure if the estimate
of 3-5% is accurate, but I'm sure the patch is incomplete - which is why
I marked it as experimental, after all.

regards