Re: [GENERAL] Best way to alter a foreign constraint

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Best way to alter a foreign constraint
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 03/19/2017 01:54 AM, Sylvain Marechal wrote:

> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>:
>
>     On 03/18/2017 12:05 PM, Sylvain Marechal wrote:

>     Why not CASCADE?:
>
>     test=# ALTER TABLE test1 DROP CONSTRAINT test1_t1_key CASCADE;
>     NOTICE:  drop cascades to constraint test2_t1_fkey on table test2
>     ALTER TABLE
>

>     It is the same end result as the first two steps of what you are
>     doing below, just a different direction.
>

> No special reason at all: I began with CASCADE, and as things went
> wrong, I tried to split the process to better figure out the problem
>

>         Is there a solution to" alter" the "test2_t1_fkey" constraint so
>         that it
>         uses the "primary key constraint", then to remove the
>         unnecessary unique
>         constraint on table test1
>
>         The following solution works but causes me deadlocks problems
>         with BDR:
>

>     Is the below wrapped in a transaction?
>

> Yes.
> The goal is to wrap this upgrade process inside a transaction to be able
> to abort it in case something was wrong.
>
> Problem is that some tables may be accessed during the upgrade process.
> May be a solution is to avoid it by only allowing the upgrade backend
> and bdr to access the tables, but I do not like the idea to make the
> database readonly (UPDATE pg_database SET datallowconn = false WHERE pid
> != upgrade_and_bdr ... ):

So is the above a BDR specific enhancement to pg_database or is pid !=
upgrade_and_bdr just a placeholder for something else?

>in case the upgrade process fails, this would
> requiere require a manual intervention to solve it (upgrade is called if
> needed by the application).

If I am following correctly then the changes to the tables are being
done on a as needed basis based on some external criteria.

In any case for each table it should be a one time operation, right?
Also from a practical stand point the FK between test2 and test1 is not
actually changing. So why not just change them ahead of time in a
process you can monitor directly?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Best way to alter a foreign constraint
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Best way to alter a foreign constraint