Re: Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2023-10-10 at 15:53 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Another solution would be, letting the meaning of NAMEDATALEN to be
> number of *characters*, not the number of bytes. This way, you can use
> up to 64 UTF-8 characters. In my understanding MySQL already does this
> way. I know this requires non trivial code modifications to PostgreSQL
> but would be better than to make binaries with random NAMEDATALEN
> values.

Since "name" is a fixed-length data type, that would require the stored
size to increase to accomodate the extra bytes.  Wouldn't that change the
storage format and break pg_upgrade?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version
Сообщение: Re: Proposal to Compile a 256-Byte Identifier Length Version Alongside the Current 64-Byte Version