access control

От De Clarke
Тема access control
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
About commercial databases lacking access control
functionality to a degree "similar" to PG:  hmm, I dunno
about that.  Seems like kind of a slur on the commercial
products :-)

The two Big Names (Oracle and Sybase) have pretty well-
developed access control.  I can't speak to Oracle in detail,
but I've used Sybase for years and it has an internal AC
mechanism at least as functional as the *nix file system. It
offers access control over databases as well as tables, and
good granularity (many modes and degrees of access/privilege,
user vs group, etc).  Maybe an Oracle person can tell us how
that engine does access control, but I was under the
impression that it uses internal auth tables, like Sybase.

I have never liked tying access to external OS usernames.
Maybe it's just a personal idiosyncrasy :-) I'd jump for joy
if PG access control became OS-independent, with usernames,
groups, and passcodes maintained internally to the engine...
just my $0.02.

de

PS I'd also jump for joy if SQL statements could access
tables from more than one DB.  I can dream, can't I?

:De Clarke, Software Engineer                     UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC:
:Mail: de@ucolick.org | "There is no problem in computer science that cannot:
:Web: www.ucolick.org |  be solved by another level of indirection"  --J.O. :