Re: a really dumb password question

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: a really dumb password question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/22/23 08:05, Martin Mueller wrote:
> I have a very stupid password question. I don’t know whether a postgres
> database on my Mac has a pass word or not.
>
> I access the database via the Aqua Data Studio frontend as the user
> postgres. I don’t think I ever added a password, and on the
> authentication panel the password box is empty but the Remember Password
> box is checked.

How are you connecting?:

1) No hostname

2) With hostname

> However on the user panel there is a sequence of black dots for the
> Password and Password confirmation. This suggests that I did set a
> password, but I don’t remember what it is.
>
> How can I undo the damage? Is there some super user way in which I can
> undo the current password and set a new one. The database itself has
> several hundred tables, and I need to find a way to fix my stupid error.

Have you used the Postgres command line client
psql(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html)?

In meantime find the pg_hba.conf file for the server and post the
contents starting at the line:

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

here. Do this only if you are alright with sharing that information.

> I have a dump of the database.  I don’t know whether that is subject to
> the password or not. If it isn’t, I suppose I could start over from scratch.

No you don't need to start over.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com