Multiple counts on criteria - Approach to a problem

От Neil Saunders
Тема Multiple counts on criteria - Approach to a problem
Дата
Re: Multiple counts on criteria - Approach to a problem  (Adam Rich <adam.r@sbcglobal.net>)
Re: Multiple counts on criteria - Approach to a problem  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

I maintain an online property rental application. The main focus of the UI is the search engine, which I'd now like to improve by allowing filtering of the search results shown on some criteria, but provide a count of the number of properties that meet that criteria.

For example, we're looking all properties, no criteria. I'd like to show something like:

Bedrooms:
1 Bedroom (122)
2 Bedrooms (143)
3 Bedrooms (88)

Facilities
BBQ (232)
Pool (122)

...and so on. My question is simple - What's the best way to implement this - Do I literally have to execute a count for the WHERE criteria with the filter criteria tagged on, or is there some clever trick that I'm not aware of? I'd rather not count in the application as I'd like to plan for the day we have up to 100k properties (

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Ta,

Neil.