Re: PATCH: regular logging of checkpoint progress

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: PATCH: regular logging of checkpoint progress
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 29 Srpen 2011, 7:47, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 03:57:16PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> On 27 Srpen 2011, 6:01, Noah Misch wrote:
>> > Could you remove this hazard by adding a step "2a. psql -c
>> CHECKPOINT"?
>>
>> I already do that, but it really does not solve the issue. It just
>> aligns
>> the first expected 'timed' checkpoint, it does not solve the problem
>> with
>> in-progress checkpoints unless the runs behave exactly the same (and
>> that's the boring case).
>
> To clarify, run that command _after_ the 10-minute pgbench run.  It
> blocks until completion of both the in-progress checkpoint, if any,
> and the requested checkpoint.

I don't think this is going to help when there is a checkpoint in
progress, as the new CHECKPOINT will wait till the already running one
completes. It might force it to finish faster, but I still can't say how
much data was written when the pgbench was running.

Tomas