pg_timetable: Advanced PostgreSQL job scheduling

От PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема pg_timetable: Advanced PostgreSQL job scheduling
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
pg_timetable - Advanced PostgreSQL job scheduling

Job scheduling is one of the most important topics in modern application and database management.
In the PostgreSQL ecosystems, pgAgent and pg_cron have become quite popular. However, both
tools have a fair amount of limitations.
Hence, we have decided to release our own solution: Welcome pg_timetable, the next generation
PostgreSQL job scheduler.

Advantages of pg_timetable:

a.) pg_timetable is a daemon:
In contrast to other tools, pg_timetable is not a PostgreSQL worker process. This means that if the
scheduler crashes, it cannot harm your server. pg_timetable is an independent process written in
GO which connects to PostgreSQL just like any other client program.

b.) pg_timetable supports chaining
Often you want to execute a sequence of tasks and not just a single operation. Maybe you want to
download a file, import it, run some aggregation, commit the transaction and send an email. All those
base tasks might be used under different circumstances using different set of parameters. Maybe
you want to send emails to notify your clients about something going on in the database, send a
reminder or whatever. pg_timetable provides a variety of built in tasks which help you to flexibly
combine those operations in an easy way. Simply select a base task, pass parameters, and assign
those tasks to an execution chain.

c.) Concurrency protection
If you are still using cron jobs, one of the major problems is that a job might run more than once at the
same time. This can lead to serious problems that might harm your database. pg_timetable can handle
concurrency protection for you. You can tell the system that a chain can only be executed once at a
time. In the near future, you will even be able to set an upper limit of concurrent jobs.

d.) Configuring jobs "cron style"
Most people know how to use cron. In order to get you started quickly, pg_timetable also supports a
cron-style configuration interface to make it easier to configure jobs as fast as possible. This is especially
useful if you want to run simple jobs.

e.) Statically linked binaries
There is no need to worry about libraries or dependencies. pg_timetable has been implemented in GO
and therefore comes as ONE executable which can be started directly. No missing libraries, no Linux
specifics. We also provide a ready to use Dockerfile if you want to directly run pg_timetable in a container.

pg_timetable is Open Source and can be used freely by everyone.
Visit our GitHub page for downloads and details.

https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/products/pg_timetable/
https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/pg_timetable

--
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH

В списке pgsql-announce по дате отправления: