Re: more than 2GB data string save

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: more than 2GB data string save
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/2/10 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>:

>>> Bytea definitely won't handle more than 1 GB. I don't think the lo interface
>>> will handle more than 2GB.
>>
>> That really depends on how compressible it is, doesn't it?
>>

> no. It is maximal length for varlena. TOAST is next possible step.
>
> Regards
> Pavel Stehule
>
> p.s.
>
> processing very large SQL values - like bytea, or text longer tens
> megabytes is very expensive on memory. When you processing 100MB
> bytea, then you need about 300MB RAM, Using a bytea over 100MB is not
> good idea. LO interface is better and much more faster.

Agreed.  I wonder what kind of strings the OP is storing, and if there
isn't a more efficient way to do what he wants to do.  But we're
learning by pieces.  First size requirements, then the need for FTS.

So, OP, what are you trying to do? (i.e. big answer, not small)  It
could be there are basic inefficiencies in some part of your method
that are more easily recognised when know what you're trying to do.