Re: vacuum issues under load?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: vacuum issues under load?
Дата
Re: vacuum issues under load?  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout
<kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 08:41:38AM -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> With slony 2.0.3 or so, I had occasional complete lockups of my
>> database that I didn't have time to troubleshoot as it was a live
>> cluster and I had to restart slony and the databases to get them back
>> up and running.
>
> With slony 2.0.2 I had similar problems. A CREATE INDEX on the slave
> caused slony on the slave to block while inserting into the table which
> eventually blocked the server during the log switch (TRUNCATE) which
> eventually blocked everything else.

You could have used create index interactively.

> It occurs to me that the slony daemon should be able to get the
> TRUNCATE command to abort if it takes too long.

No, I don't want it stopping my truncates.

The problem I ran into was on a db with no creating indexes, no
truncates nothing like that going on.  It runs fine for a week or two,
then hangs hard.  No updates, no selects, nothing works.  There are no
locks in the way that I can see, just hung database.