Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Michael Clemmons
<glassresistor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all this has been a good help.
> I don't have control(or easy control) over unit tests creating/deleting
> databases since Im using the django framework for this job.

Reminds of the issues we had with Ruby on Rails and it's (at the time)
very mysql-centric tools that made us take a fork to large portions of
its brain to get things like this working.  Worked with a developer
for a day or two fixing most of the worst mysqlisms in RoR at the time
to just get this kind of stuff working.

>  Createdb takes
> 12secs on my system(9.10 pg8.4 and ext4)  which is impossibly slow for
> running 200unittests.

Wait, so each unit test createdbs by itself?  Wow...

>  Fsync got it to .2secs or so which is blazing but
> also the speed I expected being used to 8.3 and xfs.  This dev box is my
> laptop and the data is litterally unimportant and doesn't exist longer than
> 20sec but Im all about good practices.  Will definately try synchronous
> commit tonight once Im done working for the day.  I've got some massive
> copying todo later though so this will probably help in the future as well.

Yeah, I'd probably resort to fsync off in that circumstance too
especially if syn commit off didn't help that much.

Сообщение: Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb
Сообщение: Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb