Re: Locks in postgres causing system load and crash.

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Locks in postgres causing system load and crash.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Chris Barnes
<compuguruchrisbarnes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We have a situation where the database locks escalate and load causes
> problems or the system crashes in some circumstances.
>
> We have munin installed and notice that the locks (access share locks)
> climbed to 2.7k.
>
> I'm wondering what or how I can get a snapshot of the table(s) and perhaps
> the culprit that is causing this either from postgres internally or some
> other means?

The access share locks are likely a symptom, not the cause.  Look for
what they're waiting on for the lock.  It's usually an exclusive lock
of some kind that causes this problem.  We had an issue with a wayward
update with no where clause causing an issue like this a year ago.