Re: Pls help

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Pls help
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Pavel Stehule<pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/4 Roseller A. Romanos <don2_907@yahoo.com>:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
>> insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
>> of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
>> my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
>> access the records that I have copied from the other PC.
>
> you cannot copy postgres data files from one computer to second.
> PostgreSQL is not MySQL. Use pg_dump instead or copy statement.

Well, strictly speaking, if they're from the same architecture, with
the same compile time options and the same major version of pgsql*
then you can.  But you need to shut down the source and destination
servers while doing it.

* Note that in pgsql the first TWO numbers denote a major version, so
8.1 and 8.2 are NOT the same major version.