Re: PostgreSQL vacuumdb question

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vacuumdb question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Wang Kuo-Ying <stu93303148@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I want to know vacuumdb's advantages and fault. Although it could be nice
> when I use vacuumdb command about database efficiency . But when some of
> database would updating every day, just like online game. The game's
> database could updating data 24 hr....then I want to
> know, may I use vacuumdb command when database is updating. Is it could
> influence
> database efficienc??  Thx ^__________^

Is there some reason you're not using autovacuum?  or is autovacuum on
but not doing its job?

If you're worrying about how bloated a database is becoming, download
the check_postgres.pl script and use it to track bloat in your dbs.
Or schedule a vacuum verbose to run each night (either with vacuumdb
-v or via psql) and send you the results to see how your FSM is
holding up.

You can vacuum anytime, and if it's too hard on IO you can increase
the vacuum_cost_delay to 10 or 20 milliseconds to reduce the load it
places on the system.

BTW, what pg version are you running?