Re: fastest way to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: fastest way to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Jeremy Kister
<pgsql-general-01@jeremykister.com> wrote:
> I've got two 300GB databases that I'm going to be upgrading from 8.2.4 (32
> bit) to 8.3.5 (64 bit).
>
> The systems are running on Solaris 10u5 64bit with lots of disks in a zfs
> raid10 and have 32GB ram.
>
> I've read lots of docs and Google, and found a special flavor of
> postgresql.conf that helps the import speed along, but the dump + import
> process still takes about 15 hours.

If you're looking to minimize downtime, and switch over quickly, look
at slony, assuming you have the disk space / I/O bandwidth to do it
that way, the actual downtime can be measured in minutes and seconds.