Re: Virtualization VMWare ESX and Win2k3 as a Guest OS

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Virtualization VMWare ESX and Win2k3 as a Guest OS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM, imageguy <imageguy1206@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have you tried to duplicate it w a native install of w2k3?
>
> This customer had been working  with pg2.9 on win2k3 native for
> several months without issue.  Hardware company upgraded them to a new
> server and used VMWare to copy the server and an instance ESX and then
> move the entire server to a new machine and run it as a guest.

Definitely sounds like some kind of problem with an optimization in
VMWare that's freaking out pgsql.

And what is pg2.9?  Not familiar with that version.  Is it a
commercial redistribution of regular pgsql?

> We reinstalled pg and the data, but still getting the same problems.

Given that it's repeated, I'd guess vmware is your only common
component and it's broken for pgsql hosting on w2k3.

>> Are you sure you're measuring the same disk space that vmware hosted
>> w2k3 is measuring?
>
> Well now, that is a very good point and I will look into that one.
> However, the when using the regular windows tools ( ie. dir c:\*.*,
> windows explorer, etc) it show 40gb+ available.

It could be something like a swap paritition or something filling up.

>> > Unfortunately, installing *nix as the host is not an option.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Sounds like a religious statement.  Is there an actual reason
>> for no unix?
>
> Simply put, we have little *nix experience and I am not sure this is
> the best time to start experimenting/learning.

Well, if you're interested in learning, Ubuntu is a mighty easy distro
to use, and installing postgresql is a snap on it.  Tuning for large
servers takes a few more minutes (Adjusting shmmax / shmall and then
shared_buffers) and you're up.

Just remember that pgsql is heavily optimized for unix, so you're
working as hard in some ways to make pgsql work on windows as to learn
unix.