Re: Table bloat and vacuum

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Table bloat and vacuum
Дата
Re: Table bloat and vacuum  (Jack Orenstein <jack.orenstein@hds.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Jack Orenstein <jack.orenstein@hds.com> wrote:
> My application is running on 7.4. We have one huge table that drives
SNIP
> We're in the process of upgrading to 8.3.4, so I'd appreciate any
> throughs on whether and how this behavior will change with the newer
> release.

You will not believe how much faster 8.3 is, and how much easier
maintenance is.  You'll be like a kid in a candy store for months
looking at and using all the new features in it.  The improvements are
enormous.  Biggest difference for you is that 8.3 can do vacuums in a
background method (it sleeps x milliseconds between pages), can run 3
or more threads, and autovacuum daemon is on by default.  For the most
part, your vacuuming issues will no longer exist.