Re: Need for help!

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Need for help!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Shane Ambler <pgsql@sheeky.biz> wrote:
> Semi Noob wrote:
>
>> My CPU is 2CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz. Disk: disk system is
>> RAID-5;
>
> Early versions of postgresql had issues with P4 HT CPU's but I believe they
> have been resolved.
>
> I am quite certain that it only related to the early P4's not the Xeon.

The real problem was with the various OS kernels not know how to treat
a HT "core" versus a real core.  Linux in particular was a bad
performer with HT turned on, and pgsql made it suffer more than many
other apps for not knowing the difference.  The linux kernel has known
for some time now how to treat a HT core properly.