Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> xzilla@users.sourceforge.net (Robert Treat) writes:
>  > On Thursday 01 May 2008 13:40, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >> 7.4 was released 2003-11-17, so I think that it will very likely get
>  >> obsoleted at the end of 2008.
>  >>
>  > If that's the case, it'd be nice to get an official statement of that now. :-)
>
>  People have been making noises suggesting the idea already; I expect
>  that the flurry of counterarguments will start diminishing at that
>  point.

Maybe I'm some crazy, radical DBA, but I've never had a version of
pgsql get EOLed out from underneath me.  I migrated from 7.4 to 8.1
right around the time 8.2 came out then upgraded to 8.2 around 6
months later.

Where I work now we are looking at migrating from 8.1 to 8.2 or 8.3
(depending on whether or not we have the man power to fix a few issues
with type coercion, our app, and 8.3)  These aren't "the DBA got a
wild hair and just had to upgrade" upgrades.  Each time I've migrated
it's been because there were performance or maintenance issues that
were solved by upgrading.

OTOH, a db I set up YEARS ago on 7.2 was still running last year I
believe.  they dump, initdb and reload it every year or two and it
still works for what they designed the app on top of it to do.