Re: LIMIT Question

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: LIMIT Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Terry Lee Tucker <terry@chosen-ones.org> wrote:
> When one uses LIMIT, as in LIMIT 1, is the entire query executed on the server
>  side, but only one record returned?

>   PostgreSQL 7.4.19 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.6
>  20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9)

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Depends on how complex the query is and
whether or not pgsql's query planner can see a shortcut or not.  It's
more likely that a later version will have the optimizations needed to
do that than an older version like 7.4 I'd think.  But I'd ask someone
more expert on the planner like Tom to be sure.