Re: 8.2.4 serious slowdown

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: 8.2.4 serious slowdown
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 10, 2008 11:12 AM, Clodoaldo <clodoaldo.pinto.neto@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/10, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>:
> > > I have seen performance degradation at every new version since 7.3.
> >
> > Then your experience has been exactly the opposite of mine.
>
> I suspect some developers here make a living from supporting
> postgresql and have real world experience with it. I'm not sure who
> they are as I don't read the list often. Are you one of them? If yes
> can you tell from your clients experience that batch inserts of 800
> thousands rows are faster now, especially with 8.3?

I am a user.  One who is VERY happy both with the performance of
PostgreSQL and the support I get by having a direct line of support to
the developers here on these news groups.  The developers make money
by working for companies that provide support.  Those companies make
money by selling support.  They sell support because PostgreSQL is
performant.  Making it slower will not, in the long run, make them
more money.

I haven't tested 8.3 yet, as I've been too busy migrating our internal
servers from 7.4 to 8.2, and I am very very very happy with the
increase in performance we are seeing in all operations, including
bulk imports.

> >  If your new query is slower, post the
> > information here to help the hackers figure out why its slower and
> > help you fix it.
>
> I already did it in the mentioned thread and I did that trying to help
> and I don't expect any special treatment. If the developers think it
> is not a priority so be it.

Well, generally performance corner cases are important.  But during
the rush from late beta to release probably not as much as they would
have been before beta.  They don't wanna go making large changes to
the source code to accomodate a single case if it could negatively
affect a lot of other cases.

OTOH, if your case is strong enough, then it's quite likely you could
get some work done to fix it.

> I can just keep 8.2 until it gets
> unsupported and/or I find the time and motivation to migrate to
> another db server.

Yes, because other db servers never have these types of problems...

> As it is now 8.3 performance for my most important
> query it totally unacceptable.

Please look for my post addressed to you elsewhere about this issue.