Re: performance differences of major versions

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: performance differences of major versions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 10, 2008 2:12 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/01/2008, Matthew T. O'Connor <matthew@zeut.net> wrote:
> > Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > > pgbench test - default configuration
> > >
> > > Verze 7.3.15  7.4.13  8.0.8   8.1.4   8.2.beta1 8.3beta1
> > > tps   311     340     334     398     423     585
> > >
> > > but pgbench is simple test and thise numbers hasnot great value.
> >
> > Was that the same version of pgbench each time?  Or was it the pgbench
> > that came with each version?  I think pgbench has changed a few times,
> > if you are using different versions of pgbench, are these numbers at all
> > meaningful?
> >

> I used 8.3 pgbench. I know some problems with it.
>
> pgbench is only one view (one dimension) on PostgreSQL, nothing less
> and nothing more. Some cases can be much faster or equal.

While some queries were no faster in 8.2 than in 7.4 for me, there
were many complex reporting queries that were literally thousands of
times faster.  Going from minutes (nearly hours) to a second or less.
The real issue, as usual, is "How much faster is version y than
version x for YOU?"  And only you can answer that by testing.  In
general, I found that complex reporting queries were greatly sped up.
Updates / inserts / deletes were on the order of a bit faster to about
twice as fast.