Re: slow request

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: slow request
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/9/07, michael.guiard@gmail.com <michael.guiard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
> I am using postgreSQL v8.1.5 with latest odbc driver v8.02.0500.
> I have very slow request between my server and my client. They are
> both on the same switch 100Mb/s. I have no particular network
> problems.
> I use the pgadmin tool to do my request.
>
> My database is compose of one table. This table has some simple fields
> (varchar & int, less than 500 bytes) and its primary key is a
> varchar(32) (CLSID). This table has 140000 records.
> I know the primary key as a clsid is not the best choice, but it is
> mine :)
>
> The request "select * from mytable" on the server takes
> approximatively 30 seconds.
> The same request on the client takes approximatively 400 seconds !
> What I do not understand is that my network traffic during this
> request on the client side is very low. It is less than 100KB/s !
>
> Why is it so slow ? I suppose that my 140000 records are retrieve one
> by one... is it true ? if yes, why ?

Who cares one way or another...  They're fast locally and slow
remotely, which means you've likely got some kind of networking issue
going on here.

How fast can you network copy things from the server to the client
without pgsql involved?  (i.e. rsync, ftp, wget http, scp etc...)
What OS are the client and server running?