Re: SAN vs Internal Disks

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: SAN vs Internal Disks
Дата
Re: SAN vs Internal Disks  ("Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin@wazagua.com>)
Re: SAN vs Internal Disks  (Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing@tweakers.net>)
Re: SAN vs Internal Disks  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
On 9/6/07, Harsh Azad <harsh.azad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How about the Dell Perc 5/i card, 512MB battery backed cache or IBM
> ServeRAID-8k Adapter?

All Dell Percs have so far been based on either adaptec or LSI
controllers, and have ranged from really bad to fairly decent
performers.  There were some recent posts on this list where someone
was benchmarking one, I believe.  searching the list archives might
prove useful.

I am not at all familiar with IBM's ServeRAID controllers.

Do either of these come with or have the option for battery back
module for the cache?

> I hope I am sending relevant information here, I am not too well versed with
> RAID controllers.

Yep.  Def look for a chance to evaluate whichever ones you're
considering.  The Areca's are in the same price range as the IBM
controller you're considering, maybe a few hundred dollars more.  See
if you can get one for review while looking at these other
controllers.

I'd recommend against Dell unless you're at a company that orders
computers by the hundred lot.  My experience with Dell has been that
unless you are a big customer you're just another number (a small one
at that) on a spreadsheet.